Irrigation and Variance Application
When is Irrigation Season?
Pursuant to City Code Title 5, Chapter 17, establishing an outdoor irrigation season, the Public Works Director, Les MacDonald, has consulted with appropriate staff, researched temperature and precipitation information, and determined that the 2018 Irrigation Season for the City of Moscow shall start on May 13, 2018.
Note: Watering of impervious surfaces is prohibited at all times.
What is Irrigation Season?
In 2007, a new Water Conservation Ordinance was accepted by the City Council. The first conservation ordinance was established by the City in 2004. That ordinance has since evolved into the 2007 ordinance, with two major amendments:
- Declared Outdoor Season: The allowed dates of the Outdoor Irrigation Season will vary each year and will be dependent on the current year's climate. Visit this website each year to find out during which months you are allowed to irrigate. Outdoor irrigation shall be prohibited at all times not within the declared Outdoor Irrigation Season. For new landscaping, apply for a variance with the Water Department: Variance Application
- Prohibits the Watering of Impervious Surfaces:Examples of impervious surfaces include gravel, asphalt, concrete, brick, or a combination thereof. Make sure your sprinkler heads are not spraying into the sidewalk or street. For help with getting your system running efficiently, take a look at some lawn watering tips.
This can be a little confusing, so hopefully the boxes to the right can help to clarify when you can and cannot water. The City offers a variety of hardware and tips to help you with your efficient landscape goals.
For the Moscow Resident
We are here to help you! The City of Moscow offers free outdoor water saving devices for Moscow residents. Please see what we have to offer at the Giveaway Program web page. The City has also started a Wisescape Award program to help motivate and recognize individuals that are making an effort to improve the efficiency of their landscape. Feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns.
Here are a few helpful links for you:
- Printable Irrigation Tips
- Wisescape Award
- Outdoor Conservation Tips
- Xeriscaping Tips
- Water Conservation Ordinance
- Water Variance Application
- Water Waste Resolution
For the Irrigation Professional
Please inform your clients to have their automatic irrigation controllers on during declared Outdoor Irrigation Season only. Please continue business as usual in regards to installing, turning on the valves, testing, and maintaining, etc., your client's automatic irrigation system. Please feel free to print and distribute the following information flyer: Printable Irrigation Guidelines