Orchid Awards 2016
- Historic Preservation Commission
Once each year the Moscow Historic Preservation Commission presents Orchid Awards to recognize outstanding examples of historic preservation in the community. The recipients of the awards for 2016 are as follows:
1. For Cultural Heritage Preservation, Alissa Klemencic, Cassie Schierman, and their first and second grade students at the Palouse Prairie Charter School for their innovative "Wood to Brick" project in 2015-16 in which the students toured, studied, and drew sketches of historic downtown Moscow buildings.
2. For Excellence in Historic Preservation, Bookpeople of Moscow for repairs to extend the life of a building that has been a fixture on Main Street since 1926, preserving the tile roof and uncovering the entryway arch that are integral to its Mission style. The building owners are Steffen and Nicole Werner. The business is owned by the Werners together with Carol and Walter Spurling.
3. For Contribution to Historic Preservation, Matthew Becker for a major repurposing of the former Martin's Auto Service building in downtown Moscow into a lively complex of restaurants and shops.
4. For Contribution to Historic Preservation, Merritt and Alli Decker for repairing the home they acquired at 315 East Second Street and removing an accumulation of brush and objects that had obscured the character of the house for many years.
5. For Contribution to Historic Preservation, Mary Ann Reese for reconstructing the front porch of her residence at 308 South Van Buren in a manner that maintains a historically consistent aesthetic while providing a fresh exterior update.
6. For Contribution to Historic Preservation, Anna and Timothy van den Broek for significantly reconstructing their home and landscaping at 620 East Third Street, contributing a bright and welcoming vibe to that prominent location.
<< Past Orchid Awards