Wastewater Treatment Plant
The first Moscow Wastewater Treatment Plant was constructed in 1918, consisting of two large septic tanks with contact beds for secondary treatment. In 1938 a new sewage plant was constructed which included updating the contact beds to trickling filters, installation of primary and secondary clarifiers, and sludge digesters. The treatment plant was again upgraded in 1957 with two new primary and secondary clarifiers.
In 1961, the plant was again upgraded with an effluent irrigation system for the lawn, pre-chlorination, new digester gas control equipment, automatic chlorine feed, and liquid digested sludge disposal facilities. In 1973, a chlorine contact tank and an aeration system were constructed.
The existing Plant was completely replaced in 2002 with a Biological Nutrient Removal (BNR) process and effluent filters were added in 2010 to remove phosphorus.