The Moscow Historic Preservation Commission presents Orchid Awards annually to recognize outstanding examples of historic preservation and stewardship in the community.
2018 Orchid Award Recipients:
1. St. Mary’s Catholic Church for repairing and restoring its stained-glass windows at 618 East First Street. They were created in 1939 by a gifted craftsman from Oregon and are now effectively irreplaceable. Restoration specialists from Arizona sealed cracked and broken glass pieces, replaced pieces that could not be repaired, repaired or replaced the frames, millwork, and leading, and installed new exterior protective covers. The church, designed by the prominent architecture firm Tourtellotte and Hummel, was built in 1930 and is located in the Fort Russell Neighborhood Historic District.
2. The University of Idaho for upgrades to the central staircase and main entrance lobby of its iconic Administration Building, built in 1909. To preserve key architectural elements while complying with current building and accessibility codes, the University installed new handrails along with glass panels to allow the original handrails to remain in place and visible, removed industrial-style interior doors that were installed in the 1990s, and hid electrical conduits within the walls. The landmark building is individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
3. Colter’s Creek Winery, Inc. for combining high-style contemporary design with elements of the original 1890 commercial storefront at 215 South Main. The internationally recognized architect Paul Herzel designed a complete interior renovation that exposed the original brick walls while transforming the formerly dark interior with contemporary materials, lighting, skylights, and a small courtyard. The building is part of the Moscow Downtown Historic District.
4. Timothy and Anna Edwards for notable improvements to their residence at 505 East A Street. These include window restoration and a new front porch that restores an important missing architectural element and social space while remaining compatible in style with the home’s historic origins. The house was built in 1891 and is located in the Fort Russell Neighborhood Historic District.
5. Louis Fountain for outstanding craftsmanship and creativity in reconstructing a front porch on the distinctive Mason Cornwall residence at 308 South Hayes Street, now owned by Nels and Joyce Reese. Fountain is employed by Carlton Builders L.L.C. He worked closely with Nels Reese in selecting materials appropriate for the design, adapted from historic photographs of the original porch that was removed in the early 20th Century. The residence was built in 1889 by a prominent Moscow banker and is individually listed on the National Register of Historic Places.