1. Tim Kinkeade for replacing the street-level façade of his commercial building at 121 East Third Street, using design and materials that respect its 1893 origin.
2. Tim Gresback for major renovation that converted a dilapidated rental house at 210 East Seventh Street to an elegant law office that retains several features of the original 1910 structure.
3. Austin Storm for constructing a commercial building at 106 North Main Street as a reimagining of a turn-of-the-20th-Century storefront on a site once occupied by offices of Moscow's home-grown Psychiana mail-order religion.
4. Mike McCoy for restoring the 1893 character of the commercial building at 203 South Main Street (now Essential Glass Works), in part by removing a huge shingle façade that was added in the 1970's.
5. David Schmidt for imaginative and artistic renovation of his residence at 403 South Lincoln Street (originally a farm house built around 1900), including features inspired by a variety of historical styles.
6. The City of Moscow Public Works Department for creating eight informative entryway signs in the Downtown Moscow Historic District.
7. The University of Idaho Department of Architectural and Engineering Services for guiding the creation of three "north campus gateway" structures that celebrate the Collegiate Gothic style and character of historic buildings on the central campus.
1. Elizabeth Graff and John Dunn for adaptive reuse of the white masonry building at 129 West Third Street. The building, now known as "Turnstone Flats," is historically significant as the former headquarters of the "Psychiana" mail-order religion founded by Frank B. Robinson in the 1930's. In subsequent years it was occupied by medical offices and the University of Idaho. The current owners have made major infrastructure upgrades to improve energy efficiency and accessibility for a mix of apartments and business offices.
2. Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI) for adaptive reuse and visual enhancement of the 1937 building at 409 South Jackson that was formerly the longtime home of the Daily Idahonian and Daily News newspapers. EMSI completed a tasteful modernization that significantly adds to the appearance and economic vitality of downtown Moscow.
3. Robert Wilson of R. Wilson Construction, Inc. in Troy, Idaho, in recognition of outstanding craftsmanship in restoring a cedar shingle roof on a 1928 residence at 615 East C Street. The cottage style home in the Fort Russell Neighborhood, owned by William Thomson and Wendy McClure at the time of Wilson's project, is now owned by Ethan and Susan Jones.
4. Jordan Lowe, a University of Idaho architecture student, for creating a large-format watercolor streetscape of Moscow's Main Street in the 1930's. The work, now on display at the College of Art and Architecture, is approximately 25 feet in length. Lowe was honored for helping to preserve a visual record of Moscow's history.
5. Maria Maggi for carefully maintaining a residence at 312 South Asbury Street and successfully petitioning for a zone change to encourage ongoing preservation by future owners. The building is at least 107 years old and representative of a type of home that was common in Moscow's less prosperous neighborhoods.
1. Carly Lilly and George Skandalos as the creators of the new restaurant called Maialina Pizzaria Napoletana, and Lorre Kidd as the owner of the building at 602 South Main Street. Sixth and Main has been a key intersection in Moscow ever since the 19th Century when James Deakin, A. A. Lieuallen, John Russell, and Henry McGregor set aside parcels of their farmland as a start for the commercial district. The current structure on this southeast corner was built in 1929 as a Shell gas station and has gone through several modifications and uses since then. The Commission chose to recognize these award recipients for upgrading the old building rather than tearing it down. The visually attractive result enhances the downtown area and draws people in as a social venue. They invested heavily in upgrading the building's infrastructure and made extensive use of local and historical materials in the reconstruction and furnishings. The front plaza area, which was once designed for gas pumps compatible with the car culture of the early 20th Century, has been repurposed as sidewalk café in keeping with the pedestrian-oriented character of Moscow's current downtown area.
2. Moscow's city government for its reconstruction of College Avenue between Jackson and Railroad Streets. This short street has great potential as a connection between downtown Moscow and the University of Idaho, not only for motor vehicles but also pedestrians and bicycles. The pavement needed resurfacing which the city could have treated as a routine utilitarian project. Instead, the city enlisted a spectrum of talented individuals to address signage, lighting, and other pedestrian amenities to make the area an attractive gateway between town and campus.
3. Elizabeth Paulsen, whose handsome brick residence at 936 West C Street is representative of a style of homes built in the mid-20th Century in various locations around Moscow. Her father bought it in the 1970s, and they have carefully maintained the property with attention to details and quality materials, including a copper roof she put on recently. The Commission often gives Orchid Awards to people who have rescued historic buildings that had fallen into neglect and disrepair. In this case it chose to recognize an owner who has avoided that problem by keeping the property in excellent condition on a continuing basis.
4. Barbara Coyner as an outstanding historic preservation writer, editor, and organizer. She served several years on the Latah County Historic Preservation Commission and wrote Latah County articles for the Moscow Preservation Commission's annual newsletter (now called Preservation Moscow) in 2006 and 2007. From 2008 through 2012 she served as its editor and lead writer. Also, Barbara and her husband Jack Coyner have been leaders of the long and continuing efforts to preserve the historic train depot of the Washington, Idaho and Montana Railway in Potlatch. Before moving to Idaho, they were also instrumental in saving historic railway depots in Montana and West Virginia.
5. Ann Catt in recognition of her extraordinary services to the community through the Latah County Historical Society from 1999 to her retirement last month. Beginning work as a housekeeper at the McConnell Mansion in 1999, Ann worked her way up to the positions of office assistant and museum curator. With outstanding energy, knowledge, and personal magnetism, she recruited and motivated dozens of volunteers and was generous with her own time in helping researchers and other visitors to the Historical Society office and the Mansion.
1. The nonprofit corporation named Heart of the Arts, Inc., for stewardship of the 1912 Center and public outreach to make further renovation possible. Heart of the Arts has managed the facility since 2007 under contract with the City of Moscow. The city owns the building, which was originally Moscow High School and is now celebrating its centennial year. Heart of the Arts schedules the varied events that take place, promotes the Center, and coordinates fundraising and grant applications in pursuit of its goal of renovating the remaining two floors of the building as a multipurpose community center.
2. Ken Pederson and the Moscow Cemetery District for historically sensitive restoration of a small, deteriorating building for use as a chapel by cemetery visitors. A group of volunteers renovated a small wood frame that had been used as an office and storage shed. It may have been used as a chapel originally but the pertinent documents were lost in a fire at City Hall in the early 1900s. Ken Pedersen assembled a remarkable collection of in-kind donors and volunteers who sanded the floor, repainted the interior walls, replaced windows, and salvaged pews from a church in Juliaetta. Work on the exterior is continuing.
3. Larry and Laurel Branen for historically sensitive additions to their residence at 417 South Hayes Street. The Branens recently purchased this attractive home and added a bedroom on the rear and a small roof over the front porch. These additions were done so well and so harmoniously with the existing architecture that most passers-by would not even notice the changes. They also remodeled the stand-alone garage in a way that is also in harmony with the home and the surrounding neighborhood.
4. Andriette Pieron for historically sensitive adaptive reuse of her residence at 115 North Polk Street. Ms. Pieron employed Wasankari Construction to elevate the structure of this wood frame residence and add a basement. She finished the space quite elegantly as a guest house called "Andriette's Bed, Book and Bicycle." The home was built in 1915 in what is now the Fort Russell Historic District. By lifting the structure in-place, she was able to increase the floor space without enlarging the footprint or disturbing the exterior walls and roofline.
5. The law firm of Magyar, Rauch and Thie, PLLC, for historically sensitive adaptive reuse of the former residence at 326 East Sixth Street. Robert Magyar, Gregory Rauch, and Brian Thie bought a building that had been converted to apartments and renovated it for a law office. It sits on a prominent position at the top of Sixth Street hill, across Adams Street from the Latah County Courthouse. The building had visibly deteriorated during its years as an apartment house, and the renovation involved extensive upgrades or replacements of the plumbing, wiring, heating systems, windows, foundation and structural elements.
6. Moscow Parks and Recreation Department for collecting and preserving historical information about Moscow's public parks and buildings. Since 2006, interns working for the Moscow Parks and Recreation Department under its Director, Dwight Curtis, researched the historical origins and uses of the many parks and buildings the City of Moscow owns and operates. The Department has now put this information together in a 116-page booklet describing 20 parks, three trails, 10 buildings, and 18 other pieces of property owned by the city. After further editing, the Department plans to make this information available to the public on the city's website. The award honors the Department for helping to find and preserve this historic information that might otherwise become lost or inaccessible.
1. The University of Idaho for rehabilitating the building now known as "Life Sciences South." It was originally built in 1924-25 as "Science Hall" in the Tudor-Gothic style, reflecting that of the iconic Administration Building which it faces across the "Admin Lawn." The University re-roofed the building with slate tiles that replicate the original materials and did extensive exterior repairs that included recasting several cast stone decorative elements.
2. The Order of Saint Ursula, associated with St. Mary's Parish of the Roman Catholic Church, for repairing the concrete wall that has enclosed two sides of the Ursuline Convent at 412 North Howard Street since the early 1930s. The convent has been a Moscow institution since 1908, when a group of Ursuline Sisters came to town to start a school. The Ursuline Academy operated on the convent grounds until 1956 and was then succeeded by St. Mary's School across the street. The wall had developed serious breaks due to tree root intrusion, and portions were leaning over and threatening to fall until repairs were made this spring.
3. The Unitarian Universalist Church of the Palouse for long-term maintenance, care, and partial restoration of its building at 420 East Second Street. The structure was built in 1905-06 by the Swedish Lutheran congregation and was acquired by the UUCP from a senior citizens' organization in 1985. The Unitarians have shown unusual attention to color and detail in repairing and refinishing the interior, and they have restored the original Gothic arches on some windows that had been converted to rectangles.
4. The Moscow Chamber of Commerce for partially restoring the historic facade of its building at 411 South Main Street within the Downtown Historic District. The building was built around 1926 and served for many years as the local office of the Washington Water Power Company. Sometime mid-century the upper facade was covered with a painted aluminum panel for signage purposes. After acquiring the building in 2002, the Chamber removed the metal panel, replicated the original brick and tile facade, and identified the building with elegant cast metal letters.
1. The University of Idaho for rehabilitating the building now known as Art and Architecture South, including restoration of the rooftop cupola, which had been removed several years ago. This building was originally built in 1904 as the university gymnasium and armory and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
2. The University of Idaho for rehabilitating Memorial Gymnasium, including the re-casting and replacement of 14 gargoyles in the shape of 1920’s-era football players that grace the exterior walls. Memorial Gymnasium was built in 1928 in the “Collegiate Gothic” style and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
3. Kenworthy Performing Arts Centre, Inc. (KPAC) for ongoing preservation work on the historic Kenworthy Theatre building, including repairs to the marquee that dates from 1949. The theater was built in 1926 and remodeled in 1928 and 1949. It has been managed by KPAC since 2000 as a nonprofit venue for films, stage productions, and community events. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001.
4. Jim Kremer for rehabilitating a cottage at 1020 South Adams to make it functionally modern and energy-efficient while retaining its original 1930’s style, appearance, and materials as much as possible.
5. Sharon Dunn for building a new residence at 404 East Veatch Street in a manner that’s compatible in style, colors, and character with the cottage at 1020 South Adams that was rebuilt by Jim Kremer. Ms. Dunn now owns both buildings, which occupy adjacent lots.
6. Mark and Joann Taylor for putting extra care and effort into building a new garage at 714 Mabelle Avenue, in a manner that’s compatible with the style, colors, and character of their adjacent existing residence, which was built in the 1920s.
7. Matthew Becker for rehabilitating a small residence for use as offices for the University City rental and property management business, located at the corner of Line and A Streets. The Commission compliments the owner for “recycling” an existing building that is compatible with the surrounding residential neighborhood, rather than constructing a new one at this high-visibility location.
1. Rex and Anne Cosgrove for renovations they made at 318 South Main Street before moving their State Farm Insurance office into this important building facing Friendship Square. The award cited signage and window treatments that respect the character and historic significance of the 1891 Farmers Bank building in the heart of what is now the Downtown Moscow Historic District.
2. Phil Lee, designer, and Nancy Blewett, owner, for renovations to the Hair and Face Salon at 205 East Third Street. Renovations included removal of metal tiles that had covered the original front wall, one of the first examples of concrete block construction in Moscow.
3. Andrew Ray and Jacqueline Papez for enhancing and embellishing their modest 1929 residence at 725 East Third Street with a refined and carefully detailed front porch that is faithful to the architecture of the period.
4. Valeri Schillberg and Trent Smith for renovations to their 1916 residence at 705 Mabelle Street. They replaced several missing elements, removed vinyl siding, and constructed a new dormer that closely matches the original dormer on the east side.
5. Chris Sapp, owner of Affordable Quality Masonry Restoration in Palouse, Washington, for designing and building a new chimney that closely replicates the original that was built on the 1889 Mason Cornwall residence at 308 South Hayes Street, across from East City Park. The original chimney had been replaced in 1939 without regard to historical consistency.
1. The congregation of All Souls Christian Church was recognized for purchasing the picturesque 'Carpenter Gothic' style church building at 217 East Sixth Street and extending its long life as a church. It is believed to be the oldest church building in Moscow that is still being used as a church. It was built in 1887 by the First United Methodist Church congregation, bartered in 1904 to Our Savior's Lutheran, and sold in 1968 to the New Hope Baptist congregation. But in 2007, New Hope Baptist fell on hard times and was forced to liquidate its assets. Commissioners feared this beautiful and historic building might be demolished to make room for an apartment complex, until the All Souls Christian congregation stepped in.
2. The distinctive Camperdown elm trees lining Campus Drive on the University of Idaho campus have been fondly remembered by generations of students as a part of the special experience of living in Moscow. These pendant, umbrella-like trees in front of Ridenbaugh Hall and the Niccolls Home Economics Building are thought to be 90 to 100 years old. They are susceptible to Dutch elm disease and other hazards. The Commission chose to honor David Rauk, University Horticulturist, and other members of the Landscape and Exterior Services department for their special efforts in maintaining the lives and health of these living landmarks.
3. Bill and Vicki Church for their residential renovation at 328 North Polk Street. Their contractor, Nethaniel Ealy, added space to the third floor by building dormers on the back side of the building, keeping its appearance consistent with the original architecture and leaving the front of the building unchanged. This beautiful colonial style house was built in 1927 for Howard David, a member of the David family that operated Moscow's leading department store from 1919 to 1959.
4. Steffen and Nicole Werner for their residential renovation at 407 North Polk. Architect Dan Mullin and contractor David Petersen built a major two-story addition and a detached garage, yet the additions look almost indistinguishable from the original 1917 building. This house and the Bill and Vicki Church residence are both in the Fort Russell Neighborhood Historic District, and the Commission appreciates these homeowners' voluntary efforts to maintain the historic streetscape of that beautiful neighborhood.
1. The congregation of the White Pine Baptist Church was recognized in the category of heritage stewardship for major renovations and repairs to its church building at 732 South Jefferson St., including a new roof, rain gutters, ceiling, and paint. Congregation member Robert Richards and Pastor Bill Quaade accepted the award for the congregation. The church was built in 1898 by the Church of God and acquired by White Pine Baptist Church in 1981.
2. John and Miranda Anderson for outstanding achievement in preserving the vacant grain elevators at Sixth and Jackson Streets. These giant structures were once central to the agricultural local economy, and they have been one of our town's most visible landmarks for more than 90 years. Part of the Sixth and Jackson elevator complex was built in 1915, and other parts were added in 1923, 1954, and 1979. But economic times have changed, and Latah County Grain Growers stopped using these elevators a few years ago. This spring the grain elevators at Eighth and Main Streets were torn down, and several other agribusiness structures in Moscow's 'industrial zone' between downtown and the university have been demolished, or are in the process of demolition right now. The wooden portion of the Sixth and Jackson elevator complex was already being demolished when the Andersons stepped in. They assembled a group of investors to buy the remaining concrete and steel buildings and adapt them to contemporary uses. They have some exciting ideas for turning them into a 'micro-community' that could include retail, commercial, residential, and community spaces all on one site. The Andersons have also been eloquent advocates for the importance of preserving these grain elevators as part of the community's cultural heritage and sense of place.
1. The family of Eric Kirkland for hosting summer barbecues on the University of Idaho campus every year since 1951. These popular community events, open to the public, were first organized by Eric Kirkland and have been carried on by his children and other family members and friends.
2. Doug and Melanie Wasankari operate a business that sometimes involves taking old buildings down, but they were honored for outstanding achievements in recycling historic structures and materials. These include lifting buildings to install new foundations, and conserving salvaged materials for use in appropriate renovation projects.
3. Rob Davis, Brenda von Wandruszka, and Ray von Wandruszka for renovations made to the downtown commercial building that houses the University of Idaho's Prichard Art Gallery. Those renovations were primarily structural and functional improvements to extend the useful life of the building.
4. Homeowner Lynne McCreight for creative yet historically sensitive renovations to her 1925 Craftsman Bungalow residence at 317 South Lincoln Street, near East City Park. The Commission felt this project was notably successful in adding modern amenities to the interior while restoring historical exterior features that had deteriorated over the years.
1. Building contractor David Petersen for his craftsmanship in numerous projects in the Moscow area, particularly his reconstruction of the pillared, wrap-around porch that graces the historic Jerome Day mansion at 430 East A Street (currently the home of Tim and Deena Kinkeade).
2. Two Moscow couples, Jerry and Carrie Lee and Tom and Jayme Bourque, for renovating the building at 220 West Third Street that previously housed a used book store, Twice Told Tales. The modest 1915 house has been transformed into a modern, high-tech office suite for the consulting firm TerraGraphics Environmental Engineering, Inc.
3. New Saint Andrews College for renovating both the interior and exterior of the 1891 building on Friendship Square that formerly housed the local General Telephone offices. Originally known as the Skattaboe Block, the building helped anchor Moscow's Main Street since the city's early commercial heyday. However, after the phone company closed its local office, the building stood vacant for a considerable time. New Saint Andrews College has put significant energy and resources into bringing this important downtown building back into active use.
1. Jean and Michael Keating spent 23 years renovating their 19th Century residence at 318 North Hayes Street. The home was built by Frank L. White, an important early Moscow businessman who was twice elected mayor. The Keatings upgraded the roof, foundations, wiring, heating, plumbing, windows, porches, and other features, doing most of the work themselves. The house sits behind huge evergreen trees and is often overlooked by casual viewers driving by on Hayes Street.
2. George Kong operates the Zume Bakery and Café, which opened in 2003 on Friendship Square. Kong and his then-partner, Gary Greenfield, worked extensively with local professionals to create an elegant interior in the former General Telephone building, using new materials and finishes that appear old. The building, originally known as the Skattaboe Block, was built in 1891 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
3. Julie R. Monroe is the author of Moscow: Living and Learning on the Palouse, a 160-page book published in 2003 by Arcadia Publishing as part of its 'Making of America' series. It brings to life dozens of individuals who have shaped Moscow's history, with special emphasis on groups who have organized themselves from time to time to enrich its social and cultural life.
1. Joanne Reece retired last month as the University's Assistant Vice President for Facilities. While the University was experiencing a boom in new construction, her office undertook numerous projects to preserve the campus's historic fabric. These included major renovations to the Administration Building and Morrill Hall. With this award the Commission wishes to honor both Ms. Reece and the entire University for its long tradition of preserving outstanding buildings and spaces within its beautiful campus.
2. Larry Forney and Eva Top completed a series of renovations to their house at 429 North Hayes, which was built on a farm in the 1920s and later moved to its present location. The renovations included carefully restoring many visual elements of the original home while upgrading its foundation and other structural systems.
3. David and Marianne Shupe spent years polishing one of Moscow's early gems, the grand 1886 Victorian home at 411 East B Street. Through imaginative use of color and addition of a matching gazebo (besides numerous interior improvements), the Shupes have recaptured the special character this house enjoyed when it was built for an early Moscow banker, before Idaho became a state.
1. Kathleen Warnick for her contributions to preserving the craft of lace making. She is co-author of the book, Legacy of Lace - Identifying, Collecting, and Preserving American Lace (Crown Publishers, 1988). Along with other members of a local group called the Appaloosa Lace Guild, she demonstrates lace making techniques at various events and festivals around the region.
2. Purnell Masonry for outstanding craftsmanship in rebuilding the arch at the entrance to East City Park. The arch was built in 1923 to honor Latah County men who served in the First World War. More recently it has become a familiar landmark for visitors to the Renaissance Fair and other events in the park. Earlier this year it was hit by an automobile and needed to be completely rebuilt. Dallas 'Buzz' Purnell and his company have also been involved in other masonry restoration projects around the community.
3. Duane LeTourneau for his service as chairman of the Mayor's 1912 Center Task Force, a citizen group appointed to coordinate efforts to renovate the former school building as a community center. LeTourneau is credited with exceptional patience and diplomacy in working with volunteers, interest groups, donors, and city officials as Phases One and Two of the renovation have been completed.
4. Homeowners David and Nancy Nelson for creativity and craftsmanship shown in the renovation of their residence at 804 East E Street. First constructed in 1898, the house was extensively altered in the 1930s or 1940s. The Nelsons restored many elements of the original farmhouse design and made extensive use of original and compatible materials, while at the same time making the home more functional and comfortable.
1. David Giese and Val G. Carter, funded through efforts led by Marie Whitesel, for carrying out an ingenious rescue of four large murals before the wooden building known as the 'U-Hut' was torn down last year on the UI campus. Under a Depression-era relief program the murals had been painted directly onto the building's plaster walls. Giese and Carter found a way to remove those wall sections without destroying the fragile plaster, and the murals are now [summer 2001] on display at the Pritchard Gallery in downtown Moscow.
2. The owners and operators of Bucer's coffeehouse at 201 South Main for restoring the wood and brick interior of an old commercial space and, perhaps, giving an economic kick to the downtown business district. The owners are Tim Kinkeade and Stan Weeks; the operators are Gary Greenfield and Dean Helleckson.
3. UI professor Carlos Schwantes as a teacher of regional history and author of several books on Idaho and Pacific Northwest history, steam-era transportation, and life on the "wage-earner frontier."
4. Four Moscow couples for remodeling projects that show respect for the historic characters of their homes and neighborhoods: John and Susila Bales at 1005 East 6th St., Mac Cantrell and Janice Boughton at 622 East B Street, Peter and Sharon Feeley at 607 East 7th Street, and Matt and Roxanne Ruck at 319 East 2nd Street.
1. Bob Greene, owner of Bookpeople of Moscow, Inc., for renovating the former Spruce Tavern building at 521 South Main in a way that retains the historic character of the small town storefront, opens the interior space into an attractive and functional retail area, and contributes to the economic vitality of the downtown area.
2. The Judd and Beth Kenworthy family for donating the Kenworthy theater building to the nonprofit Moscow Community Theatre, Inc. The Kenworthy theater has been a feature of Moscow's social and cultural life since 1926, and MCT is interested in preserving and restoring the building's architectural features while providing a downtown venue for plays, films, concerts, and other events.
3. The University of Idaho Capital Planning and Capital Budget Office for professionally developing a master plan and design guidelines for future renovations of the Administration Building. The University has recognized the historical significance of Moscow's best-known landmark and has developed a careful plan for preserving its best features during future functional upgrades.
4. Steve McGeehan and Kathy Beerman for remodeling their 1906 residence at 622 East C Street in a particularly attractive manner in keeping with the styles and character of the Fort Russell Historic Neighborhood. Moscow architect Wendy McClure's design was beautifully executed by Moscow builder Jack Carpenter.
5. Joyce Reese for her distinguished service on the Moscow Historic Preservation Commission from November 1994 through December 1999. She has been an energetic and talented contributor to numerous projects and a forceful advocate for enhancing the quality of life in Moscow.
1. Nils Peterson and Krista Kramer for building a new barn with careful attention to historic construction methods and materials.
2. The University of Idaho UI Capital Planning Office for making a thorough documentary and photographic record to preserve pertinent information about three buildings being demolished to make way for the new University Commons.
3. Dale Reese for enabling the historic Kenworthy and Nuart theaters to continue showing movies downtown. His company, Reel Entertainment, reopened those theaters after Carmike Cinemas closed them.
4. The anonymous, generous donor who gave the city a million dollars to renovate the 1912 Moscow High School and pledged a second million to match future fund raising efforts by the city.
5. Linda Pall for her many, varied, and longstanding efforts to preserve the 1912 High School. These include her public role in keeping the School Board and City Council talking through long and frustrating purchase negotiations, and her behind-the-scenes role in connection with the anonymous donation mentioned above.
6. The two Mayors and seven City Council members who made the key decisions during 1997 and 1998 for the City to buy 1912 High School: Mayor Marshall Comstock, former Mayor Paul Agidius, former Councilman Larry Hodge, and current Council members Steve Busch, Peg Hamlett, Tony Johnson, Tom LeClaire, Linda Pall, and Pam Palmer.
7. Two citizen committees who have contributed much time and expertise toward planning the renovation of the 1912 High School as a community center: the Technical Design Committee consisting of Joanne Reece, Larry Betts, Larry Chinn, Julie Comstock, Larry Elliott, Wendy McClure, Ray Pankopf, and Nels Reese, and the Use Committee consisting of Joanne Reece, Aaron Ament, Larry Betts, Mary Blyth, Lisa Garrett, Tom Hudson, Tom LeClaire, Duane LeTourneau, Linda Pall, Dale Pernula, Randy Rice, Gary Riedner, Susan Seaman, Melanie Siebe, Judd Smith, JoAnn Thompson, and Martin Trail.
At least 170 individuals contributed $160,000 to the City of Moscow for purchase of the 1912 High School building from the Moscow School District. These donors deserve recognition for their generous gifts of private assets to preserve this landmark building for public use.