Student Resident Firefighter Program
The Moscow Volunteer Fire Department (MVFD) student resident program enhances volunteer firefighter staffing and prepares students for a career in fire and/or EMS services. Resident firefighter volunteers help serve and protect our university and city.
Resident Firefighter Responsibilities
In exchange for a room while attending the University of Idaho, WSU, LCSC or an on-line university; residents are trained as firefighters initially and given the responsibilities of responding fire apparatus to emergency scenes, fire suppression, public education and station detail duties. The opportunity for additional training is available in Emergency Medical Services (EMS) for interested residents.
Resident firefighters attend a rigorous orientation and begin Fire Academy several weeks before the start of the Fall semester. Orientation includes driving basics, First Aid/CPR, pump operations, shift assignments and students begin training to a level of Firefighter I standards.
Resident firefighters are on duty once every fifth calendar day. Duty shifts are 4:30pm-7:30am on weekdays and 7:30am – 7:30am (24hrs) on weekends. Residents are relieved of duties during breaks recognized by their educational institution.
Resident firefighters are expected to balance their school responsibilities with their fire department responsibilities. You may trade coverage with another students when a school conflict arises.
- Gain work experience in the demanding and rewarding field of emergency services.
- Uniforms and equipment are provided
- Free housing, parking
- Leadership experience and training that can be applied towards any future career
- IFSAC Firefighters 1 and 2
- IFSAC Hazmat Operations
- IFSAC Driver Operator
- Extrication, Rope Rescue and many more…
- 18 years of age
- High School graduate or equivalent
- Have a valid drivers’ license and insurable by MVFD
- Pass a driving and criminal background check
- Be enrolled as a full-time (12 credits or more) college student for the upcoming academic year
How do I apply?
Applications are accepted year-round for the program. Student resident are selected in the Spring for placement for the Fall Semester. Applications are due by March 19th, 2021 for selection for the 2021/2022 academic year.
Applying to the resident program includes;
- Completion of the resident firefighter written application
- Successful completion of a background and driving check
- Successful completion of the MVFD physical abilities test
- Successful completion of an oral interview
- Completion of a medical examination/physical (paid for by the applicant)
The Physical Abilities Test:
The MVFD requires all applicants to successfully complete a physical abilities test that is designed to assure proper physical conditioning for the performance of firefighting duties. The test is comprised of six stations:
- Ventilating fan lift
- Weighted mannequin drag
- Ground ladder climb
- Hose carry and stair climb
- Bucket carry
- Hose raise