June 18, 2019 (Moscow, Idaho) — As part of the Third Street Corridor Multimodal Improvements Project, a new Pedestrian Hybrid Beacon has been installed at Mountain View Road and Third Street.
The beacon was partially funded by the State of Idaho Children Pedestrian Safety Grant and is due to go live on June 29, 2019. Research from the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) Study on Pedestrian Hybrid Beacons shows:
• Serious injury and fatal crashes reduced by 15%
• Pedestrian crashes reduced by 69%
• 96% driver compliance when PHB was active
• Total crashes reduced by 29%
• 50% less delay compared to traditional signalized crossings
For more information, please call the Public Works Engineering Division at 208-883-7034.