September 27, 2019 (Moscow, Idaho) -- Eight schools in Moscow plan to join thousands of students from around the globe to participate in International Walk to School Day on Wednesday, October 2, 2019.
Participating schools include: A. B. McDonald Elementary, J. Russell Elementary, Lena Whitmore Elementary, Moscow Charter School, Moscow Middle School, Palouse Prairie School of Expeditionary Learning, St. Mary's Catholic School, and West Park Elementary.
International Walk to School Day is a global event with students all around the world walking and biking to school on the same day. This year Moscow Safe Routes to School would like to highlight the environmental benefits of walking and biking to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, improve air quality, and promote environmental justice for low-income communities and communities of color.
Walking in an organized group with supervising adults is called a Walking School Bus. All Walking School Buses will be assisted by school personnel, parents, and Safe Routes to School volunteers to ensure safety and on time arrival to school. Parents and guardians are welcome to join a Walking School Bus with their student.
- McDonald Elementary Walking School Bus will depart from the Eggan Youth Center. Parents and guardians can drop off their student between 7:45 and 7:55 with a departure time at 8:00 a.m. McDonald Elementary will also offer an alternate drop off location for students on Eisenhower Street just past the bridge and before the entrance to Good Samaritan Village. Volunteers will assist students from 7:40 till the school bell rings at 8:18 a.m.
- Palouse Prairie School Walking School Bus will meet at the old school building location on the corner of Lauder and Levick Avenue. Parents and guardians can drop off students between 7:50 and 8:00 with a departure time at 8:05 a.m.
- Russell Elementary Walking School Bus will depart from Friendship Square. Parents and guardians can drop off their students between 7:45 and 7:55 with a departure time at 8:00 a.m.
- Saint Mary's Catholic School Walking School Bus will depart from the St. Mary's Catholic Family Center parking lot. Parents and guardians can drop off students between 7:40 and 7:50 with a departure time at 7:55 a.m.
- West Park Elementary Walking School Bus will depart from the U of I Rec Center parking lot. Parents and guardians can drop off their students between 7:45 and 7:55 with a departure time at 8:00 a.m.
Students who live farther away, or are unable to walk to school, can participate by getting dropped off a few blocks away from their school and walking the rest of the way. University of Idaho students will be at each school to host a Walk AT
School event, where students dropped off by car or bus can participate by walking around the school grounds before class begins.
Park-and-Walk locations are assigned near each school for children who want to walk but may live too far away. To see a map of recommended walking routes to your school, and Park-and-Walk locations, visit www.SR2Smoscow.com
and click on your school for printable maps.
The Moscow Safe Routes to School program is based on the Movement Sciences Department, College of Education, Health and Human Sciences at the University of Idaho. For additional information, please contact Safe Routes to School Coordinator
, Erin Bacon at 509-432-4787 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org