May I burn yard waste or household trash?

If you are located within Moscow city limits, no outside burning is allowed, with the following possible exceptions:

  1. Each spring, the Fire Marshal may declare an open burning period, dependent upon weather conditions. Items which may be burned during this period include garden waste, brush and tree trimmings. Items which may not be burned include leaves, grass trimmings and rubbish containing paper products. Persons burning debris must be in legal control of the lot or parcel where burning is taking place. Other requirements include burning at least 25 feet from any building; keeping a garden hose or fire extinguisher handy; no burning after dark. Permits are not required; however, persons who do not meet all requirements may be subject to fines. The Fire Marshal at (208) 882-2831 can answer any questions.             
  2. For yard waste disposal: tree limbs and yard waste items can be taken to the Moscow recycling center to be recycled into compost. If you are located outside Moscow city limits, the Idaho Department of Lands enforces state laws regarding open burning. They may be reached at their office in Deary: (208) 877-1121. For approved burning outside city limits, but within the Moscow Rural Fire District, we ask that you notify us early on the day of your burn: (208) 882-2831. We’ll pass along the information to our command personnel and our dispatch service (Whitcom). It’s really helpful to us to know where field burns are taking place each day.             
  3. Certain “APPROVED” outside burning appliances may be used year-round,for recreational use only (burning only clean dry wood) including: Chiminea's and Outdoor Fireplace burning units. These burning appliances MUST always be operated with their metal mesh screens/spark arrestors/fire pit lids in place. If not in place, you are performing an illegal burn operation. It should be noted that these burning appliances give off a significant amount of radiant heat and need to be shielded on the bottom with patio blocks or other masonry type materials. They also need to be kept away from combustible materials (wood/vinyl siding) to prevent the radiant heat from starting other items or structures on fire. 

Show All Answers

1. May I burn yard waste or household trash?
2. Do you offer an EMT class?
3. Do you inspect or service fire extinguishers?
4. Does your department have paid firefighters and/or medical personnel?
5. How can I volunteer and what are the requirements for membership? Do I need prior experience?
6. I’ve heard you have firefighters who live in your stations?